The No. 9 Bowes Seal Fast Special was a famous Indianapolis-based car built by Luigi Lesovsky in 1958. It made its racing debut at Langhorne, PA with driver Johnny Boyd. Ultimately, the car was engulfed with flames during the race, leaving Boyd with serious burns.
After the car was repaired, it returned to competition with Jud Larson behind the wheel. Larson enjoyed a great deal of success with this car, including a win at Phoenix in 1958.
Interestingly enough, this car ran at Daytona International Speedway in 1959, the year the 2.5-mile track opened, with driver Bobby Grim. The car carried the No. 4 during this historic race because, in that era, each USAC car carried the number that corresponded to its finishing position in point standings the previous season.
The car is powered by a 270 CI Offenhauser engine and was acquired by Ray from a private collection in Texas.